If you want healthier and better looking hair then you need to get an SLS free shampoo. SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) is a dangerous chemical that can cause problems with you hair. Keep reading below to learn more about SLS, or skip right down to our list of recommended shampoo brands. You’ll be sure to discover a brand that suits you.
If you are new to the site you can read more about SLS here but as a general overview SLS or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is a foaming agent used in various cosmetic and personal hygiene products, not to mention industrial cleaners such as engine degreasers and industrial strength detergents. There is no reason to be alarmed that SLS is used in industrial environments as it is essentially a detergent and many detergents are used both in industrial settings and in the family home.
SLS is also synthetic and cheap to produce. Due to its ease of production, manufacturers of cosmetic products make use of it to produce the foaming effect that we are familiar with in shampoos, toothpastes and soaps.
While not all people use hair dye or mouthwash, almost everyone uses shampoo and toothpaste. If you have ongoing problems with your scalp or gums then you should consider trying an alternative SLS Free product. Looking for a Sodium Lauryl Sulfate free shampoo can be a little challenging unless you visit natural health and beauty stores. Alternatively, there are products available online from sites such Amazon.com and the list is growing as more people become aware of non SLS products. You can refer to the list below for some popular SLS free products available to purchase online.
As a foaming agent, SLS works by corrosion. It’s ineffective in regulating moisture and regular use of it can cause scalp irritation in some people as a result. It can also contaminate the inner layers of the skin, thus resulting in a number of known and documented skin disorders. One of the main concerns however is the fact that SLS can have a strong reaction when combined with other ingredients such as styling gels, color treatments and conditioners. Such a reaction can cause further damage to the hair and scalp in some people.
This is the reason why many hair dressers are beginning to recommend the use of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate free shampoo in order to prevent hair and scalp damage over time.
SLS as a foaming agent used in shampoos can be effective in removing dirt and oil from your hair. However, the benefits may be short lived if you experience health complications as a result of using a shampoo with SLS as a primary ingredient. Regular use of shampoos containing SLS can result in scalp and hair problems as it can have an impact on the protective layers of the skin and hair, causing your scalp to become very dry.
Daily use of shampoos containing SLS may also promote the development of dandruff, hair loss and an itchy scalp. Your hair follicles may also suffer damage as a result. Some people may experience problems while others may not, or in some cases increased exposure can result in one or more of the conditions listed above. It’s important to consider the compound effect using a shampoo containing SLS can have. As most of us will shampoo daily, the chemicals in your shampoo will build up over time in your body. While there is no evidence to link SLS to Cancer or other serious health issues, if you experience scalp problems then we recommend that you buy an SLS free shampoo.
Below are the most popular and best reviewed SLS Free Shampoos and Conditioners for sale.
Kirkland Signature Professional Moisture Shampoo
The Kirkland Signature shampoo is made of pure organic extracts. It’s safe for all types of hair and has a moisture nutrient complex.
- Economical(size) SLS free shampoo
- Moisturizing, promotes thick, healthy hair
- Many customers comment how they stop using a conditioner after using this product
Pura d’or Premium Organic Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo
If you’re trying to fight hair loss then this is the perfect shampoo for you. This product is clinically proven to assist with thinning hair and scalp related issues.
- 100% natural formula
- Wide range of DHT blockers
- Decreases shredding and adds volume to hair
Tea Tree Shampoo
Tea Tree Shampoo is made by Maple Holistics. Cleans old skin cells and stimulate new hair growth.
- 98 natural compounds combat dandruff and removes dead skin cells from hair follicles
- Economical, reduces skin irritation
Fundamental Shampoo – For All Hair Types
Fundamental shampoo is made in the U.S. by the company Fundamental Earth. It’s all natural, chemical free, SLS free, and Ph balanced.
- Lathers well
- Rinses clean
- Safe for colored hair
- Economical (no conditioners needed)
- Reduces scalp itching
Paul Mitchell Men Double Hitter – 2-in-1 Shampoo
The Men Mitch Double shampoo is made by Paul Mitchell. This is a combination shampoo/conditioner which is great for all hair types.
- Balanced shampoo/conditioner makes hair easy to style without oily buildup
- A small dab needed for full lather
- One tube lasts for three months (if used every other day)
Sweet Baby Shampoo
Sweet Baby Shampoo is made by Paradise Island Organics. The 8 ounce comes in six formulas and the 16 ounce comes in four formulas.
- Recommended for babies and children
- Purely organic and natural, parents love the scents
- There’s an unscented version for children who are ultra sensitive
- Parents are also overjoyed with the response from the companies customer care department
Paradise Island Shampoo
Paradise Island Shampoo is made by Paradise Island Organics. All six formulas are SLS free.
- Lathers well
- Free of salt and all other preservatives
- Gentle for sensitive skin and scalp
- Leaves hair soft with volume (no conditioner required), and concentrated
Yes to Carrots
Yes to Carrots is for dry to normal hair. It also works well for those with wavy hair.
- Another economical SLS free shampoo that moisturizes and leaves hair soft and manageable
- Environmentally friendly
Nurture My Body – For Fine, Limp Hair
Nurture My Body is made with certified organic ingredients, and packaged in a BPA-free plastic bottle.
- Gentle cleansing agents enrich fine, limp hair
- Volumizes well
- Works well with blow drying
TIGI Bed Head
TIGI Bed Head is made by Bed Head. This brand has some fantastic reviews. Some people swear by this product.
- Perfect for thin, limp hair
- Lathers nicely and cleans well
- Great for allergy/sensitive users and is concentrated
* Some manufacturers offer products containing Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, however all brands listed above offer SLS free products as well.
These are just some of the best Sodium Lauryl Sulfate shampoo brands available. You can also check out the list of ingredients on your shampoo bottle to determine if it contains SLS.