Most people underestimate the importance of their skin. It’s one of the first things a person will notice about you, and it really conveys a lot. For example, the way your skin looks will give people a general idea as to how old you are and how healthy you are.
To make the best first impressions, and to be as confident as you can be, you want to have great looking skin. There’s no way around it. Fortunately, improving the look of your skin is not that difficult. You just have to put in some time and follow a daily process.
The Fundamental Steps
Though there are a number of factors that determine the quality of your skin, the biggest factor is your daily skin care routine. This routine includes the products you use and how/when you use them. This will determine much of your appearance.
Here are the fundamental steps:
A lot of people use a regular bar of soap to wash their face- this shows you how little people understand skin care. Using the same soap that you use on your body for your face is a bad move, as the delicate balance of oil, pores and moisture on your face is different from your body.
When washing your face, you want to use a facial cleanser. This is a soap that is specifically designed to be gentle enough for washing your face, while still thoroughly cleaning out pores. Look for cleansers that have as little excess chemicals as possible (e.g. avoid fragrances), as these may irritate skin. A reputable brand is the Oz Naturals facial cleanser, this product uses as few chemicals as possible.
As for the frequency of cleansing, you should do it at least once per day, particularly in the evening. If you sweat a lot, or feel compelled to wash your face for some other reason, then cleansing twice per day is fine. Just don’t overdo it, as it can dry out your skin.
Exfoliation sounds like a confusing process to a lot of people. But it’s actually quite simple- it’s the process of removing dead skin cells, physically or chemically, to reveal brighter, fresher skin. This is an important process for always looking your best, as over time dead skin cells will accumulate on your face, giving you an aged appearance.
A lot of men don’t realize it, but they actually exfoliate all the time! Whenever men shave, they are removing the dead skin cells on their face.
When it comes to exfoliating, you have two choices: Physical or chemical exfoliation. Physical exfoliation includes brushes like the Clarisonic Mia brush, which strips off dead skin. Chemical peels, like Paula’s Choice AHA gel Exfoliant and Paula’s Choice BHA Exfoliant (e.g. Salicylic or Glycolic acid), are applied to the face just like any other skin care product and they remove the dead skin cells that way. Whatever manner you choose you can’t go wrong. Don’t over exfoliate though, as that may lead to redness and irritation.
Using a moisturizer is one of the simplest, yet most effective things you can do for your skin. It serves to keep skin hydrated and looking fresh.
Like exfoliating, moisturizing plays a role in skin cell rejuvenation which is why it makes skin look so fresh and new after use. You can use a facial moisturizer twice per day after you wash your face.
Although most people don’t think about it, every day we our exposing our skin to harmful UV rays. This can cause wrinkles, sun spots and in severe cases skin cancer. There are so many reasons to use sunscreen, you just have to make it a daily habit.
To make things easier, you can look for moisturizers that include SPF. Otherwise, make sure to use a broad-spectrum natural sunscreen anytime you go outside.
Additional Products and Habits
While those four products will help your skin look great if used consistently, there are a few other products you may want to consider.
- Anti-Aging Serums (Hyaluronic Acid): There are a lot of creams out there that claim to stop aging, and many of them are fake. In fact, using sunscreen and moisturizer will do more to prevent aging than most products will. That said, there are a number of truly amazing anti-aging products out there. One of them is Hyaluronic Acid. This compound plays a role in skin cell repair and collagen production. In general, it ‘plumps’ up the skin which helps to get rid of fine lines and wrinkles. We recommend using a Hyaluronic Acid serum.
- Eye Cream: The reason that people should use a different cream for their eyes is because the skin around the eyes is quite sensitive. You should use a specially designed eye cream to prevent fine lines and dark circles from forming around this area.
- Lips: Healthy looking lips are important for overall appearance. Just imagine how unattractive dry, cracked lips are. Use a quality lip-balm as needed, especially in the cold winter months.
As for healthy habits, you should make sure to do these everyday:
- Eat Healthy: The quality of your food has a big role in how your skin looks today, and in the future. Make sure to follow a diet high in nutrients while avoiding processed foods.
- Exercise: Doing daily exercise helps to promote good flow and sweat which both make the skin look younger.
Putting the Routine Together
Now that you know what you need to do, it’s time to put everything together into one daily regimen.
- Wash Face with Cleanser: Depending on when you want to do your routine (either morning, night or both) start by washing your face. Gently splash your face with warm water, apply the cleanser, and gently scrub. Wash with warm water and dry with a towel.
- Exfoliate: After washing your face, apply your chemical exfoliation, like a salicylic or glycolic acid.
- Anti-Aging Serum (or other skin care products): After you’ve exfoliated, add any anti-aging serum, spot treatments, or other products you find necessary.
- Apply Moisturizer: Liberally apply moisturizer and rub it into your face and neck.
- Eye Cream: Gently dab the cream around your eyelids.
If you make sure to do this regimen every day, you will be truly amazed with the transformation of your skin.